Sunday, July 3, 2011

Raleigh Really Likes Rally


A Rally event in Ferndale, our first.

Because it was happening here on the North

Coast, I decided to

enter Raleigh

for both trials. I

guess that it is the natural thing for

him to do along with agility.

In fact, this is

just his cup of tea, in

keeping with his competitive spirit.

My hunch is that

nothing will replace this

oh so joyful combination of discipline and

play--the

quintessentially friendly obedience

routine of walking a course,

stopping at each placard, being sure to

take time to understand and follow instructions,

undertaking the task

very carefully

while the judge walking nearby, critically

examines and notes our every move.

Yet I am certain that she must be impressed by Raleigh’s

zenlike focus.


As you might surmise from this poem, and photograph, we had our first experience in competitive Rally this weekend. Rally is a sport that grew out of Obedience. The difference is that this is much more user friendly, or I suppose dog friendly would be more apt (no offense intended for the Obedience people out there---it's just a different approach and there is no judgment intended). In Rally, the team (dog and handler) walks a course that has 10-20 placards with instructions for various maneuvers, ranging from very simple to fairly complicated. The handler is encouraged to engage the dog the entire time-- commands, encouragement, and praise are all part of the deal. Raleigh loves it, and so does Emma. This was Raleigh's first trial and he did remarkably well--a third place with a score of 97, and a fourth with a score of 96. He has this matter of fact approach to the sport, much like agility, which quite honestly, I would not have expected from him. But it is a good example of how a challenge and purpose can bring out the best in all of us. And, for you fellow competitors out there, I am fully aware that you never know what a dog will do on any given day, and I know better than to take Raleigh's good performance for granted. In fact, one of our stellar trainers, who in this case shall remain unnamed, (but you know who you are) noted to a group of us that she had the distinction of coming in last place in two trials (and she has great dogs), which proves that it can happen to anybody. This good natured attitude is one of the things that I like best about this community.

Lighten up on the Leash


I am wondering why the dog world has recently become so important to me,

or perhaps more accurately, why it took me so long to discover it.

I’ve definitely fallen into the allure of the canine competitive

universe,

and it feels like home.

I love the friendly competition,

the esprit de corps of the participants,

the enthusiastic support that is so pleasant to give and receive.

The sport is really about competing with your own potential,

rather than trying to beat other teams.

Oh, there is the occasional competitor who may resent someone else’s success,

or worse yet, get impatient with a dog who hasn’t performed as well as he might have.

But that is the exception rather than the rule.

Most of the time both success and failure are accepted with good humor.

I think I compete pretty much the way I live my life----

running up against challenges and obstacles,

unaware of anyone else,

sometimes rushing so that I overlook the obvious,

or holding on too tight

so that I make things more difficult than they need to be.

In fact, our score of 96 in yesterday’s Rally trial pretty much sums it up.

The judge docked me one point for a tight lead,

and Raleigh lost three---for barking with joy mid-course.

In my mind, a good trade off for a nearly perfect score.




No comments: