Thursday, July 28, 2011

Meeting a Mentor


As I was setting up my canopy the afternoon before the trials started (just before the Fun Run) I heard a familiar voice out on the field. It was one of those times when something is familiar, but you know that there is also something different going on. "Quill, Quill! Come!" I thought wait a minute, that's the voice from the DVD I have been watching and learning from for the past six months. And indeed it was Sandy Rogers, a well-known and respected dog trainer from the Bay Area, here in Humboldt County to compete with her dogs. I had a chance to get acquainted with Sandy over the weekend, and to tell her how much I have learned from watching her DVD demonstrations. It seemed only right that we have a photo taken in front of Raleigh's blue ribbons (the athlete himself is in his crate just below the frame of the photo), since much of Raleigh's success is due to her long-distance training. Her DVD is called One Jump, Two Jump, and it is an inspired approach that uses only jumps to learn and practice basic, essential, agility skills. As you can see from her site, she is an accomplished competitor, and she and her partners have won many impressive titles. Plus, she is a very down to earth, friendly person. I couldn't resist asking her if I was hearing the DVD correctly when she was demonstrating playing tug with Quill, her Jack Russell Terrier, and she confirmed that "girlie butt" is in fact one of her terms of endearment with Quill (the only female dog in her family). I just love that.

No comments: