Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Open Wide


Last week I had oral surgery.

The process involved extracting the tooth that had cracked on what had seemed to be a harmless clump of granola.

Harmless that is until I bit down on it and heard what sounded like an explosion going off in my head.

It wasn’t painful,

but it was immediately clear

that this is what it is like to break a tooth.

It happened in an instant.

but he implications will go on for a lot longer than that--

about six months in fact.

The solution is an implant—a new tooth attached to a titanium post that the oral surgeon placed in my maxillary bone six days ago.

I opted for the local anesthetic, so was awake during the whole procedure,

and it was actually quite interesting to lie comfortably in that chair listening to the banging and drilling,

while the assistant held down the top of my head so I wouldn’t move too much as the dental surgeon yanked out what was left of my molar.

Incredibly, I felt no pain at all.

It was as if someone was doing roadwork in my mouth with a tiny but powerful jackhammer,

and I was one of those onlookers standing on the curb,

hands in pockets, just watching.


I don’t mean to brag, but both dentists complimented me on my calmness,

(which sort of baffles me as I still don’t see any other option considering the circumstances).

Quite honestly, I can’t think of any other area of my life where I might be described as calm.
But this worked out so well, that I just might give it a try the next time things don’t go as expected,

or even when they do.

All in all, it has been a good reminder that nothing lasts forever---

not a tooth, discomfort, or difficult circumstances.

And it’s a not a bad idea to make the most of every experience that comes our way,

even at the risk of feeling pain.

No comments: