Saturday, July 11, 2009

Desert Day

(Psalm 16)

There is something remarkable about taking time away from ordinary life to come to a beautiful, peaceful place on retreat.
Protect me O God for I take refuge in you.

There are no great bells or whistles,
(well there is one bell I suppose)
that mark this as especially holy or sacred time.
I have said to the Lord, “You are my Lord,
my god above all others.

Yet something wonderful happens as these three dozen or so people gather and form community,
by singing, praying and being together, mostly in silence.
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,

It really is delightful, this time here.
I can’t put my finger upon exactly why,
but something greater seems to be at play.
upon those who are noble among the people.

Yesterday, Desert Day, was especially peaceful,
and it was the most unstructured time of all.
People were free to do whatever they chose,
and it seemed that most of us just walked or sat around,
sinking deeper into the ground we’d been preparing all week.
But those who run after other gods,
shall have their troubles multiplied.

No one seemed inclined to do anything out of the ordinary.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,

Or venture very far from the groundwork that had been laid for us all week.
nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.

Personally, I found it to be a good opportunity to focus on what brought me here in the first place.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup

I drew, read, and snoozed,
and thought a lot about Christ being the vine and the source.
it is you who uphold my lot.

I walked around the grounds quite a bit as well.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;

I felt grateful for my family, just down the road,
and the gift of life and many opportunities that they gave me.
indeed I have a goodly heritage.

I also spent some time reading the Psalms and listening to the sounds of nature.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;

I considered my dreams, and pondered how luminescent crystal globes in moonlit gardens apply to my life.
my heart teaches me, night after night.

But mostly, I did nothing.
I have set the Lord always before me;

And even in this nothingness, I felt divine presence supporting me.
because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.

Why does this continue to amaze and delight me?
My heart, therefore, is glad, and my spirit rejoices;

There is a peace in this that touches every fiber of my being.
my body also shall rest in hope.

It reassures me and takes away my fear.
for you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor let your holy one see the Pit.

Just this morning during Mattins,
I thought about Christ, and the example he set for us--
You will show me the path of life;

how he was able to laugh and enjoy life, knowing what lay ahead.
in your presence there is fullness of joy,

And how great is the gift of his eternal presence.
and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very grounded, simple in the best sense, and a quiet beacon of faith. Time reflected in being not doing, doing doing which afflicts our lives.Thank you Kathrin your friend Connie