Thursday, July 9, 2009

Benedictine Experience

I am now into my fifth day here at Bishop's Ranch. It is a peaceful time, and a great blessing to be in this beautiful place with the others on this Benedictine Experience. We start each day at 7:00 with Mattins, with readings, chanting of psalms and quiet time for reflection. After breakfast, there is "choir practice" with our music director, John Renke. I must confess that I no longer attend choir practice---not because I don't need the help, but the time for me seems better spent writing. Next is a presentation by Sr. Donald, a Benedictine nun from Transfiguration Monastery, followed by Eucharist at noon, lunch and then time for rest. Afernoons are spent in quiet prayer or lectio divina (sacred reading). Evening Prayer is at 5:30, then dinner, meditation and Compline. The truth of the matter is that I don't attend all of the discussions and gatherings, and the Experience is quite accepting of individual's needs for private time.

No comments: