Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oprima el Numero Dos

Now that I am here in Mexico, away from home,
in school for Spanish immersion,
I sometimes wonder what my real reason is for doing this.
Is it a chance to get my mind around a new way of expressing the same old thoughts
giving them the illusion of being new and original?
An attempt to convince myself that I’m not in an existential rut?

Or perhaps an excuse to finally visit Mexico
that enigmatic country to the south—
the place of bright colors, spicy food rich heritage,
and cheap labor?

Spanish gives us the names of many cities in my state.
St. Francis must shake his head as he sees what goes on in the city that bears his name.
And it’s best not to know what the angels are thinking farther south.
San Jose is home to a lot more Jose’s than it bargained for
and they’ve brought their language with them.

Even farther north where I live, just south of Del Norte County
Spanish isn’t just heard in Mexican restaurants anymore.
It’s common to see it on labels, applications, and even ballots.
There’s no telling where this may end up.
Which come to think of it,
just might be the reason
that it’s a good idea to learn Spanish.

2/20/09

No comments: