Friday, June 17, 2011

The workshop was cut short due to some pressing needs at home, however, my time there was fruitful in unexpected ways. I learned and experienced different approaches to the model, and was reminded of how people respond in very different ways and how individual the creative process is. The emphasis was on action---active poses, rapid drawing, energetic responses. The teacher, Michael encouraged me to be more spontaneous, move my feet more and to start drawing with lots and lots of energy, which is just the opposite of my usual approach. As many of my students know, I come at it from a very different angle-----a contemplative approach of engagement. Quiet the mind, still the voice, engage, and then draw. So it was fun and challenging to try a very different strategy. I plan to give that a try in a bit and see what happens. I'll post the results in a few days.

Speaking of drawing, I plan to offer a series of drawing workshops this summer---probably one day events out here at Trinidad. I'll be sending an email out in a couple of days, but if any of you are interested please contact me and let me know what days might work best. My workshops have been on hold for quite a while and I am looking forward to teaching again.

It's a glorious day here on the coast.

1 comment:

Catherine Arnold said...

Dear Kathrin,
I don't know if you'll remember, but we first met years ago at family gatherings at Walter and Barbara Dolfini's. I'm Catherine, Joan Norberry Bistrin's daughter, and I've always enjoyed running into you and talking about books. I've admired your work for years and remember buying my mother some of your little celadon pots as gifts so long ago. I follow your blog silently--I think I learned about it through the Lost Coast Painters Blog, and noticed recently that you'll be offering some drawing classes. My friend, Margot, and I have been interested in drawing together for some time. Neither of us are artists, but we would love to be beginners with you. Please put us on your list of contacts when you schedule your classes. Thanks so much.
Catherine
carnold6160@sbcglobal.net